Friday, June 1, 2012

The First of Many

I can't believe it's been a year since that painfully beautiful day. There are no words to explain the emotions of being able to hold your child in your arms for the first time, then give him to heaven. No words.

Today is a celebration of the latter, and a mourning of the former. I cry selfishly, and selfishly I wait impatiently to be with him.

This morning I woke up to the sounds of tap dancing rain on the windows, just as it had that day at the hospital. These would be the first of many tears.

The second cry came, when I read Uncle Allen's post: "Dear David, One Year Later"
http://theycallmepercival.wordpress.com/2012/06/01/dear-david-one-year-later/

Tonight we will be taking our oldest to her year-end talent show. She shared that at rehearsal another child was singing David's song. It's going to be hard for her to concentrate on her own performance, and I have to be strong and send a comforting smile and a wink when she scans the crowd to see my face. Lord give me the strength.

Today is David Allen's Day, the first of many.

-Aaron




To view David Allen's Fight and other Trisomy 18 Stories visit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2_eHFoPVjY&feature=youtu.be

No comments:

Post a Comment